Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What I'll Take Away From This Class Is...

Like all things, it must come to an end eventually, and after a while we take a long look back and reminisce in the memories and experiences that we made and will never forget.

It sounds like a cliche of highschool but in college it happens every semester.

This semester I was fortunate enough to take the ICS413 software engineering class taught by Professor Johnson. A class and I know for sure I will take away a lot.

It was a interesting learning experience and has really given me a lot of insight into software engineering.

Overall the class was not overly hard, but still required some effort to do well in. The screencasts and reading were done at home and part of this inverted pedagogy as professor Johnson calls it. It allowed us to restructure our time in and out of class, allowing us to choose when to listen to a long lecture and instead in class either do an activity or get a pre-emptive start on the assignment at hand with the ability to ask questions early.

I thought it was unconventional for an ICS course but worked very well and I could definitely see it working in certain types of courses.

In terms on the ARCS model of teaching, which stands for Attention, Relevance, Confidence, and Satisfaction. I felt that the course structure and assignments fulfilled all of those foundations well. The variety of assignments were relevant to our interests and kept our attention, I can recall that the Robocode assignment was a very interesting idea and the class competition was an interesting day in class.

Upon finishing this course I do feel slightly more confident about my ability as an ICS student and more professionalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment