Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Watts For Sensors: New Beginnings

Last week we saw the conclusion of the Wattdepot-Apps group, our two month going project. This week I pick up a new group that has already begun development of their project, so I will be as they say hitting the ground running.

My new group for this next milestone will be the Dorm Energy Simulation group. Our task is to develop a simulated energy program that will send simulation data into the actual Wattdepot servers we were working with.

We haven't had much time to meet or discuss our plans which we will hopefully get together by our first meeting this week, but so far from what I've heard, our two goals right now is to get a working conversion from the data of the meters into actual data that the Wattdepot servers use. The next goal is the actual simulated data in which we are currently doing research on appliances and other items found in dorms that we can base our simulated data on. Once this research is completed we can plug in actual numbers and get this data written into wattdepot to be visualized and queried by all sorts of applications.

Not much else to report this week as I'm still getting my sea legs. This is always a problem that I believe anyone would encounter when joining an existing project. Half the members in our group were already working on this project when I had joined, they will be the more productive members until the rest of us can get it together. In the mean time I hope they continue to be supportive and take lead in the project to direct us new members until we can be a fully functional part of the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment