Tuesday, November 10, 2009

And The Results Are In: Wattdepot Review

I just finished reading the reviews of my groups Wattdepot project and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. They were mostly all positive. One the exception of course of our group not having any real test cases so that was one thing that everyone commented on.

I believe that the better your system is the easier it is and yet the harder it is the review. When I looked at the reviews for my group's system, many of them were a short and precise: This system works, the described checklist item works and is in order. But from my experience when it is good, it is harder to break or find something for the group to improve on.

One of the strategies I tried during the review, since we had to review two systems, was first trying to break the system and then reviewing the code. After that I tried reviewing the code first and then trying to break the system. I found the latter a lot after and easier to do. The reason being is that when you review the code, you can see which of the specifications were not implemented, and immediately you can see problems. I was able to see which exceptions were not caught and immediate knew how I could break the system. It is a lot faster than trying to think up of ways and then testing all possibilities on how I can break a system.

All in all, I believe that taking different approaches that work well next time can speed up the reviewing process, I found it not so bad and gave me a lot of insight into potential problems and even fixes and ideas on how to improve me own project.


No comments:

Post a Comment